Wednesday 18 March 2009

Evaluation

My film is quite typical of a mainstream thriller film the story and ideas were widely liked according to the feedback survey, the film is not abstract nor artsy the story unfolds quite clearly though it retains a sense of mystery which any mainstream thriller should do, it builds suspense yet leaves the audience anticipating, which is essential to the opening of a film. Still my film does challenge mainstream films in the sense that it is a low budget(no budget) movie, I was limited in my choice of locations and actors, a point that is also reflected in my survey, acting and locations are generally rated lower than cinemathography, story, ideas and mis-en-scene I was expecting this outcome because in the former I can not compete with the real media product.


The focus of my film is not on social groups, yet in a way it does portray certain aspects of society, I meant for the victim to seem like a well adapted young man, successful and confident, he is shown leaving work late, after it is dark, he is well dressed and shows confidence in his walk , making his position as the victim seem even even less likely. He is meant to be your average middle class man as opposed to the killer, a recluse of society, faceless (his face is never revealed) yet with murderous passion, apparent in the extreme close-up of the eye.
I believe any major studio (Universal, Warner Brothers etc.) would distribute my film. As I explained above my film follows the conventions of mainstream films, the ideas are fit for a major project and with adequate finance the film as a whole would would have a good chance of success. Stories about murder, psycopathic killers and the like have been done again and again by all studios and they keep making money. As long as this stays as it is my film has a good chance of being distributed because, after all, the main focus of major studios is to make money in this aspect my film is quite promising, it is not an extremely revolutionary project.
The audience for my film judging by the survey's (before and after filming) and the nature of the film would be from 18 and older but especially 18 to 30s since the film would most probably have a rating for 18s I must exclude the younger audiences. Thrillers seem to be very popular among 18-30 year olds, in my preliminary survey I asked for characteristics of a good thriller the answer included many features of my film: suspense, a surprise ending and a good story. In the survey following my film people seemed to like the ideas and story of the film especially the targetted age group very much enjoyed the film. From this I may judge that I successfully attracted the targetted age group a suspenseful and interesting film is always liked by an audience between the ages 18 and 30 an audience whose main focus is to be entertained. My film has the ability to grip you though it might not be incredibly deep in theme.
In the course of making this film I learned a great amount about technology. I had gained some experience with cameras after the project though I feel much more confident in using the camera I have explored the functions of it and have an understanding of how to work it the way I want it. I have learned to use the tripod something I had never done before and found it to be a helpful if not essential tool. The most however I learned about the editing program imovie hd I had never used it before yet I can say now that I have more than a basic knowledge of the program. Not only did I learn to edit but I learned to insert credits and use music. Even this blog I count to my learning, I was quite unfamiliar with blogs to start with, as I am not apt with computers.
Looking back at my preliminary task, of course it helped me in making my film coherent and fluent. Before filming a scene I would make sure I was following the rule something I also did for my storyboard. Making the 180 degree rule I learned also the basics of using camera and imovie which helped me greatly in my project. The importance of cinematography  and music especially I had to discover later on. Matching music and picture I found a hard task yet it makes a great difference to have the right timing for music.  

No comments: